Infrared Sauna Health Benefits

When it comes to infrared saunas, there are many benefits! Infrared saunas have been used to help everything from blood pressure to weight loss and everything in between. In this article, we will discuss what an infrared sauna is, how it works, and the benefits that come along with using one. We will also examine the differences between an infrared sauna and a traditional sauna.

What is an Infrared Sauna? 

Contrary to traditional saunas, infrared saunas don’t use heat to warm the air around you! Alternatively, they use infrared lamps (which are powered by electromagnetic radiation) to warm your body directly, rather than the environment. Renowned physical therapist Vivian Eisenstadt, MAPT, CPT, MASP, elucidates, “These saunas use infrared panels instead of conventional heat to easily penetrate human tissue, heating up your body before heating up the air.” Unlike traditional saunas, infrared saunas generally operate at temperatures usually between 120˚F and 140˚F. Whereas traditional saunas usually operate at temperatures between 150˚F and 180˚F. Manufacturers of infrared saunas allegedly state that when using an infrared sauna, a mere 20 percent of the heat is released into to heat the air, whereas the other 80% of heat is penetrated directly into your body. Advocates of infrared saunas claim the heat lamps penetrate far deeper than warmed air provided in a traditional sauna. It allows you to experience a more intense sweat at much lower temperatures. Eisenstadt believes that this environment is more tolerable to handle, which allows patients to remain in the sauna for longer periods of time, which allows your core body temperature to increase by as much as two to three degrees. Here are some concentrated widely believed benefits of infrared saunas.

Better Sleep

Many patients who utilize infrared light therapy report having an easier time falling asleep, as well as sleeping through the night. Those who suffer from insomnia may benefit from infrared light therapy.

Relaxation

A sauna is relaxing as it is, but infrared saunas take it to the next level. Lower temperatures in the environment provide patients with the ability to enjoy the experience for longer periods of time, thus providing greater levels of relaxation.

Weight Loss

Believe it or not, studies have actually shown signs that infrared saunas can help with weight loss! Fat cells are where the body stores and hides toxins, which can cause problems when trying to lose weight. Infrared light penetrates the skin and directly targets these toxins!

Better Looking Skin

Infrared saunas are a great way to help skin look its best. The sebaceous gland is positioned right below the skin, this gland is responsible for creating sebum- a chemical that helps maintain healthy skin! When these glands become blocked they rise to the skin’s surface, which then creates acne and other skin issues. The best way to unblock these glands is to sweat! Sweating helps open the glands and push all of the bacteria up and out.

A Last Note on Infrared Saunas

Patients have been using saunas for centuries for all sorts of health-related issues. With that being said, there are plenty of research studies on traditional saunas, but infrared light is still considered to be a new technology. The absence of concrete evidence and extensive research about the potential advantages infrared saunas may bring the consumer (you) to examine all of the affirmations made by the companies who provide consumers with this service. Likewise, there are also no reports of any type of negative effects, beyond previously accepted cautions about any traditional sauna experience. Warnings include the possibilities of overheating, dehydrating, as well as the potential dangers to patients who are pregnant or using medication. If you have any questions about infrared saunas, feel free to reach out to us here at The Salt Room Oviedo!